I've always been a hefty lass but being about 5' 9" I've always been able to carry it well. That was until I had a kidney transplant and endured 12 months of steroid therapy afterwards. Combine that with being thrust prematurely into the menopause and it's a recipe for disaster - for my waistline anyway. Post-transplant/hysterectomy I have gained over 25 kilos, in old money that's nearly 60 lbs or 4 stone!
Hurrumph.
Since we decided we would go for our big return to normal life with a fabulous holiday to Florida I have been desperately trying to shift the weight, fearing the humiliation of being stuck in my plane seat for 7 hours or worse being booted off like Silent Bob for being too damn big.
Thus my exercise of choice has been swimming. We swim twice a week at a privately owned pool. It costs about £10 to hire for an hour but being the only two people in at any given time it is worth the cost. Plus there's a jacuzzi.
Cap'n Scarlet has become worryingly obsessed with my weight loss or lack thereof (actually, I have managed to shift about 3 kgs but it isn't coming off as quickly as he would like which is actually really getting me down because actually I self-flagellate over my inabilities enough for the both of us already actually, I don't actually need extra criticism from him but that's another story, actually).
I am calm. Soooo, this week I added a solo extra session while he was out line dancing. Yes you read that right, line dancing. In the words of Forrest Gump that is all I have to say about that.
Last night I arrived at the home of my friend the pool owner to discover that she had had a Valentine party over the weekend. Nothing unusual about that you might think but she had in fact also spiced up the pool.
It had been dyed a a dark red. Now 3 days later the pool was a cloudy magenta. My swimming goggles are blue which meant that I was effectively swimming in dark purple water. Creepy? I should cocoa, especially when I kept encountering the kids' toys which were being dislodged from their lurking places by my fevered thrashing.
Valentine's Day? More like the Texas Chain Saw Massacre. I'm going again tonight, at least I won't be alone, at least I shall have a superfit line dancer with me to fend off the nasties.
Tuesday, 16 February 2010
The creature from the pink lagoon
at 8:35 pm
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

19 Comments:
My goodness, you fluent in Manderin or something? (Giggle)
Oh, to have a friend with ANY colour pool to swim in! And well done for making such efforts, it sounds as though you have already achieved a hell of a lot - send that man to me, so as I can slap him up-side the head for being such a dolt. Guys just don't get it, do they? Compliments are far more effective than critism in achieving results.
I lost three stone a while back, I know how bloomin' depressingly hard it is to keep motivated. God luck hon, I'm rooting for you.
When are you coming to Florida . I lost track of you in August. you are so blessed. The best
i beatie - should be coming over in September. Would you believe the word verification today is "conches"? How appropriate
Shrinky - my blog appears to be a hit with the Far East's pervs. Thanks for the encouragement and good for you, you look wonderful in the photos I've seen of you.
Hi there hon, just checking in to see how you're doing, hope all is well?
Oh boy, what an attack of spammers you've had! It was great to hear from you hon, just popping over to send you a hug!
Hullo CJ! How ar yu? Jus droppin off sum hugs for yu. I sor a owl calld Calamity Jane reesently an it mayde me think ov yu. She livd in Suffolk, too.
:@}
Hey! Just popping by to wish you well :)
Dropping off sum mor bear hugs!!!
:@}
Ping!
I'm still here - hope you and Captain Scarlet are too.
amazing but true
BOO!
Wa-hey! I'm bak!!!! :@}
How ar yu?
Hewo agen!
HULLO!!! Just popping by to see how you are and send hugs...
Ahoy thare me heartys!
A'just dropping off sum piratey prods on Talk Like A Pirate Day! Aaarrr!!!!!!!!!!
Hey! That Pant Alien fella is up to no good agen!!!!
Hey CJ!! Just popping by to say 'hi' and that we think of you often. We had a flyer from a Suffolk Owl Sanctuary recently and one of their owls is called 'Calamity Jane' LOL! Is this a coincidence of have you sponsored her???
LEt me know if you plan to head into COlchester any time eg. Xmas shopping (bleagh) and we can meet for a cup of tea somewhere!!! Or are there any Suffolk events you are planning to check out in the next few months? Let me know!!!
I'll bring Bob T Bear of course!
Hope all is well with you both.
Hugs!
skutter8@hotmail.com
★•.¸
¸☆´.•´
.•´✶`*.
*.*★
__o°__
|HappY|
| New |
\Year/
\__/
__||__
Popping in to say hullo!!
Popping by to say we still think of you!
FOund the 'pants of peace' the other day LOL!
And Pant-Alien still lives in the pant drawer!!!!!!
Hope you are OK :)
HUgs.
Post a Comment