The results of the latest swab from the line in my chest came in today. I apparently have a coliform bacterial infection. Go on and follow the link, have a good shocked gasp and get it out of your system and then come back and read the rest.
I'm devastated and at a loss for how I managed to acquire this little lurgy. Let me just state for the record that I am very careful about changing my dressings. Everyday after showering and before changing the dressing I wash my hands with hot water and antibacterial handwash, apply an alcohol hand rub, use only sterile swabs soaked in Betadine solution which is supposed to kill all pathogens.
Might as well use Domestos. Kills all germs. Dead.
So the solution is to have intravenous Gentamycin, a particularly noxious antibiotic. When the nurse looking after me asked her colleague to fetch the Gentamycin, she added "Oh and remember to bring the anaphylaxis stuff too".
Gulp.
Thursday, 7 December 2006
The Contaminatrix
at 6:15 pm
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 Comments:
I looked, I gasped, & now I feel ill too! You have to be using the NHS, there's no other reason for this to occur when you bathe daily in antibacterial luxoury body scub!
You're gonna have to beat this fast hun, I need a "Calamity Jane" fix to keep me going each day.
All I have to go on at the moment is the broken £650 Microwave Combi Oven that is just out of guarentee, the Annual Christmas Head Lice infestation that plagues my youngest & having to work Christmas Day to keep me sane!!!!!
Hellllllllllllllllp! Less than 3 weeks to go . . . . .stay with me Jane!
Breathe woman, breathe!!
Now, now - we can't blame it on the NHS - it could just as easily have been me, my husband, the pharmacist who dispensed my packs of sterile swabs, anyone.
We all have an incredible amount of creepy sounding flora living on our skin, it's only when it gets ingested or in an open wound that it causes trouble. You'd be horrified to know what's living on your bar of soap!!
I'm just extremely p'd off because I've gone to great lengths to avoid infection knowing how much bacteria is present on a normal "clean" person. I just think I would have felt better if it had been a staph. aureus rather a coliform!
Ewwwww! All sound nasty! Stop please, I'll end up with OCD
Post a Comment