Monday, 14 April 2008

Eeny meeny miney mo

Anyone reading this blog could be forgiven for thinking that I'm a hypochondriac but the fact is I'm not. I hate being ill, I hate that I could be thought of as weak.

I was rarely ill as a child, I didn't get the normal childhood illnesses and I was 26 before I even had chickenpox (let me tell ya, chickenpox as an adult is nasty). The only time I was ill as child was when I was 11 and got the flu. Not just the rotten cold kind of flu, it was the all out disabling kind of flu.

A month or so after that bout of flu I started showing signs of diabetes - weeing a lot, ultra thirsty, losing weight. But Type 1 diabetes is insidious and no-one really noticed anything was wrong until the day I felt too ill to go to school. That day was a dramatic one, I started the day lying on the sofa feeling poorly but looking reasonably normal but by the end of the day I was a virtual skeleton, in a coma and hammering on death's door. Eventually after a botched diagnosis by a drunk doctor I ended up being rushed into hospital by ambulance complete with blues and twos and when I got there diabetes was swiftly diagnosed. I believe that flu virus weakened my pancreas.

So here I am enduring a lengthy sick leave following my hysterectomy. One of my goals on this sick leave was to spend a little time at my local GP's surgery getting a few niggling little things taken care of - yes in addition to my major problems I also suffer the things that normal people suffer with. Nothing earth shattering just a few things that I haven't had time to go to the doctors about because the big things take up too much time. It's a logistical challenge finding time to go to the doctor when you spend 15 hours a week attending the hospital for dialysis whilst trying to hold down a full time job and the doctors surgery is only open in the hours that I'm either at the hospital or at work.

I made an appointment over a week ago for next Friday, the rottweiler* on reception said that was the soonest they could fit me in unless I needed an emergency apointment. Well nothing I want to discuss could be considered an emergency so I meekly thanked her and now I'm cooling my heels waiting for Friday to roll around.

Now here's my problem, I have several things that I would like to sort out but I'm only allowed to discuss one problem per appointment.

1. I've had a dry, irritating cough for several months now. It's only a little tickle but when it flares up I end up coughing so much I'm almost sick. It usually strikes me at night and I wake up coughing several times during the course of the night. I'm also being woken every hour or so with night sweats caused by losing my ovaries which oh by the way has also affected my blood sugar levels causing me to wake sometimes with very low blood sugar. It all adds up to very little sleep. I'm so blooming tired all the time, I have huge bags under my eyes and the skin round my eyes is so dark sometimes it looks as if some deranged makeup artist has been attacking me with plum coloured eyeshadow. I think I'm almost through the hormonal rapids now so the cough is the last thing to be fixed.

2. A few weeks ago I discovered a lump on my arm. It's about the size of a halved gobstopper, slightly irregular but quite firm, not painful at all. I thought initially I must have bumped myself but no bruise has come out. Obviously as I had pre-cancerous cells in my womb requiring the hysterectomy I'm thinking the worst about this lump, it's human nature isn't it - to think the worst? I can't afford to wait and see because of the impending kidney transplant, any cancer treatment will kill the new kidney.

3. I have struggled for years with depression. I had treatment for post-natal depression but once I felt better I stopped taking the pills. It's been a downward trend ever since then. A few years ago I was prescribed antidepressants but as I read the blurb that comes with all medications these days I learned that the pills might bring on suicidal thoughts. WTF? They're supposed to make me feel better! I didn't take them and I've struggled gamely on since then. I seem to function on 2 different levels. When I'm at work I'm OK, my pride won't let me do a shitty job. But when I'm home alone on say a day off I drift around the house or watch telly, I can't bring myself to go out and do something interesting or useful.

Six weeks of sick leave has brought home to me just how depressed I am. Most people would be revelling in the time off work giving them freedom to do the things they enjoy. Well despite the fact that I healed fantastically after my surgery and was able to move around freely much sooner than expected, I have done virtually nothing other than sit and watch the blasted telly. I desperately want to do other things but I can't motivate myself to get off my lardy arse and do them. It's as though I'm paralysed, trapped in my own head. I love my garden and it's in dire need of work but I can't seem to drag myself out there to do it. I'm sick to death of being fat and unfit but I can't make myself get up and exercise. Even blogging has seemed too difficult for me to get my finger out and write about all the things on my mind. I need help and if that help has got to come in the form of another tablet then I'm finally prepared to give it a go.

There are other things that needed sorting too (my achy-breaky-grindy knees, the lumps in my hands - I also have this thing called Dupuytrens Contracture; the many spider nevus on my legs (but now I've done some internet research to find a link I'm a little worried about them), the early signs of varicose veins) but they all get bumped down in the order of importance.

See I'm not a hypochondriac at all, all this stuff is ginuwine. So anyway I need y'all to help me decide which problem I should get sorted first - please vote on thingy to the right of the page (I've been just dying to try one of these out for ages).

*I know it isn't fair to refer to the doctor's receptionst as a rottweiler, I happen to have met some perfectly lovely rottweilers in my time and they can't be compared to doctor's receptionists at all.

15 Comments:

MrsG said...

I had chicken pox when I was 14 - it was truly, truly hideous.

Why do you only get to talk about one problem per doctor visit?! That seems rather limiting, seeing as how you seem to have 3 very real problems... I voted for the lump, seeing as how, well, it's a lump and those tens to need looking at, but the rest of it seems rather pressing as well, if you're that unhappy.

Maybe sitting outside in the sun would do you some good - you wouldn't have to actually DO anything, but it might help you feel better...

Glamourpuss said...

God, don't get me started on doctor's receptionists - bunch of rude, gossiping dragons where I go. I've complained about them on more than one occasion - the idea you can only talk about one problem is utter nonsense. What planet are they on?

Puss

Calamity Jane said...

Amy - it's practice policy that you only discuss one problem but I usually manage to squeeze in another one when I'm there. They don't like patients coming in with laundry lists of problems - the thing is, if it was easier to get an appointment when you need it you wouldn't have to save up everything.

Puss - I think doctor's receptionists are hatched under a rock. From an early age they are taught the subtle art of how to keep the patients away from the doctors. The worst one at our local surgery actually has the same name as myself, pah!

mrsnesbitt said...

CJ, you are quite right...you should not compare rottweilers with receptionists....I have a soft spot for the dogs.

Sending you big ((((HUGS))))

Dxx

Sonnjea said...

All 3 of your main choices are potentially serious, but I think sorting out the depression might in and of itself begin to help some of the others. ? Who knows. Anyway, I'm with you... try to squeeze in 2 topics if possible!

Jocelyn said...

I can't think of any way for your brain and spirits to get through this period but with depression. I realize that may sound a bit funny, but there is so much recovery/battle/stuff going on inside of you, your brain would have to have a reaction.

For the doc's visit, could you somehow concoct an explanation of "one complaint" that miraculously strings all of them together? "Ever since this dry cough started, the lump on my arm has been even more irritable..." and take it from there...

Anonymous said...

CJ,
Ah, now I know why you like my Purple Bloom painting. You blog page is purple!

Receptionists. I here you there. Last visit to the doctor's office, after a half hour wait, I approached the window a second time. She forgot I was waiting! Duh! I was sitting in the room right across from her.

I hope you get some answers and catch that piggy by the toe.

Dave said...

JaneE,

I voted for the depression for MANY reasons, but the first one is that if you tackle that you might gain the inner strength to help you attack the others and enjoy your garden while you ponder the bigger stuff in life!

Dave

Maz said...

Hi, just assault your doctors ears with all the ailments at once, tell him you've been aving 'em up and today's his lucky day!

He may be more accomodating than his rottie!

(((Hugs))) maz x

DILLY said...

Mummy hav sayme problem-
lots niggly things,
hav chooz wat say to doctor bowt.

Mummy think Calamity Jane coff mite be asthma. Mummy's asthma startid as ickol coff, got big coff nite-time. Mite be!

Mummy sez, tayke antidepressant pills if need. All types pills say bad things, but men hoo mayke pills hav to cover arses.

If CJ want talk bowt diffrent antidepressant pills, emayle Mummy as Mummy been tayking for most 20 yeers. Knoze bowt diffrent types, diffrent side-effects.

Perhaps talk doctor bowt depreshun, as wen deprest mayke ALL uther things feel werse.

Then wen end ov poyntment, say, lump on arm mayke very worreed. Mayke depreshun werse. NER! Menshund now! Doctor haff arnser now as menshund!

AND arsk see NERSE bowt coff, say, worreed be asthma. Clinic mite hav speshol asthma nerse, be abol talk to.

Sorry best Dilly can do.
Mummy in bed.
Dilly up bloggin layte.

If need talk Mummy bowt hed stuff, emayle

skutter8@hotmail.com

she hav lots nollidge bowt hed stuff and hed-pill stuff.

Not worry.

Dilly be good nerse an sendin ear-hug.

¬"

DILLY said...

GLAMOURPUSS!!!!!!!

Wat mean, rude gossipin dragons??

Wagons not be narsty!

¬"

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

(((nose hugs)))

San said...

Jane, I've come to believe that medical receptionists have to take a personality profile before they're hired. They have to score pretty high on the rottweiler scale or they're referred to a job in credit collections.

I'll vote on the thingie, but right here I'll say that my inclination is to have the arm lump tested. Probably because my mother has had breast cancer. And because you've indicated that cancer treatment would ruin a new kidney. And a new kidney is at the top of your needs list, isn't it?

I believe most people would be depressed with all of these medical issues to deal with. You are working a fulltime job--that's amazing.

Anonymous said...

The lump on the arm could be a gangloin... try whacking it with a huge big bible, if it pops it was!!

I'd ask about the cough, as someone said a nocturnal cough could be asthma, but could also be GERD - the acid could be coming back up and irritaing your vocal chords which makes you cough. Try sleeping with your head raised for a few days and see if it helps.

And ask about the anti depressants too. Why not ask "shall I make another apt to discuss x and y as the recpetionist said I could only discuss z today".

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

Nose hugs!

:@D