It's not often that I stick my head above the parapet and write about something even vaguely political. There doesn't seem to be a lot of point when there are bloggers out there who are far more competent at it than I, usually I don't know what I'm talking about and I'm so empathetic that I see both sides of the argument. Plus a lot of my RAM is devoted to merely staying alive never mind taking on everyone else's troubles.
So here's something that involves politics and staying alive and I'm having trouble making up my mind where I stand on it as usual, not that my opinion will change anything which is another reason why I don't normally get involved. I'm rambling, sorry.
There is a patient at the dialysis unit who is an illegal immigrant. He came over here because he couldn't afford the healthcare in his own country. He's been here a few years and now he's going to be deported fairly soon. He can't afford dialysis in his own country but if he stops dialysing he will be dead within about 2 weeks.
Now I get royally pissed off when people come over here to freeload off the state. The NHS provides free quality healthcare, although it's not truly free of course because it is funded by taxes. I work bloody hard to stay at work and pay taxes whilst coping with a chronic illness. However, I cannot believe that my country would be so callous as to send someone off to what is a certain death. He shouldn't be here in the first place but we shouldn't be killing him. See my dilemma?
Tell me what you think - I've disabled the no anonymous comments setting so everyone who visits can join in for a change.
Friday, 4 April 2008
Healthy debate
at 10:00 am
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 Comments:
Well, the is the old dilemma of whether the law is to be followed to the letter, or whether we should use common sense.
Compassion dictates he should be allowed to live. But I guess, part of me thinks he needs to take responsibility for his own health and find a solution that does not involve illegal action - if he does not pay taxes, then he contributes nothing to a society that extends social responsibility towards him.
I guess it touches on something I've been thinking about recently - how we all bang on about our rights, and our entitlements, but have no concept of our social responsibilities, duties as citizens, or the contribution we can make. I'm talking generally as a culture here, not individually.
Puss
Yes, it is a dilemma. But the fellow specifically came- illegally - to obtain free health care (that he wasn't entitled to) that wasn't available in his country. He certainly knew there was a risk he'd be deported.
It's not YOUR country who is being callous; he had no right to healthcare there in the first place. It's HIS country that's sending him to a certain death because it doesn't offer affordable health care to its citizenry.
I'm just thinking out loud here... there are so many ways to view this. Here in the US we have a lousy healthcare system, and it's appalling how the poor/uninsured Americans are treated (or more likely, NOT treated). I think that's more of a disgrace than a country withholding medical care from illegal immigrants in favor of its own citizens.
Hey Jane.
When you have a chance, please wander over to my place and collect your award.
Hi Jane - popped over from San's to say hi. Definitely a controversial subject.
I am like you - I get mad when freeloaders get from the state what I put into it (especially when I am refused any help eg DLA because I try to help myself and have to fight and appeal to get just one year of low rate - now expired; rant over) but at the same time, struggle with the concept of sending some one to certain death.
On the one hand, compassion should be at the forefront. On the other, that would set a precedent and we would have boat loads of (more) illegal immigrants.
Perhaps a compromise could be for time limited treatment, enabling him to find another way or the funding for treatment in his own country. But if he can't, we're back to square one.
A difficult one.
Nice to meet you. Congrats on your award from San - well deserved! I love your blog - informative and entertaining!
I agree with Puss. It is stealing from your tax pounds (I almost said dollars). I would be outraged if this person had paid their part to society and then was told to shove off, but they haven't. It's like jumping the border from Mexico to California and then expecting free medical care because you made it across.
I feel for this person, but why didn't they come over to the UK two years ago and gained citizenship and paid their taxes and supported others before it benefited them?
Just my perspective. BTW, don't sell yourself short, a little free thinking discussion is what makes our country's so great and you have every right to speak your mind!
Dave
I try never to let my principles get in the way of doing the right thing.
If you know in your heart what you're doing is bad, then don't do it. Find some excuse.
Treat him, don't deport him. Of course if he wasn't going to his death, I'd throw him out immediately.
Next question.
Puss - It's a toughie ain't it?
As for civic duty & responsibility, like JFK said "Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country". I try to do what I can, it's why I went into the field that I'm in - unfortunately I'm working at supporting people who are fighting a very unpopular war which is killing our nation's boys & girls so my altruism has backfired somewhat.
Sonnjea - Good points. We can throw blame around until the cows come home but at the end of the day he's still going to die prematurely. Sad, sad, sad.
San - thanks babe, I'm on it.
Crazy Cath - thanks for visiting. This should have been nipped in the bud by Customs & Immigration as soon as he set foot in the country. Beats me how people manage to get past them (snerk). And oh yeah, the DLA system is truly messed up, I have often been tempted to give up work due to the medical difficulties I have but strongly suspect that I would be given a short shrift if I applied for DLA.
Dave - what can I say? You're all heart ... wink. Miss you (my supply of sour Skittles dried up long ago).
Zoe - 'zackly. Next question is how do we achieve world peace? Concise answers on the back of a postage stamp please ...
As a legal immigrant in the UK, I find the whole thing disturbing. I am torn between the need for compassion and my own exhaustion and anger - I worked damn hard to be here and would never have dreamed of 'freeloading'. But then again I'm healthy (I assume) and wouldn't dare make a judgement on what someone else feels.
There was a case a few months with a woman from Ghana (I think) who was 'sent home to die'. Help was on the way for her, from other countries, she just didn't live long enough to see it.
I guess I'm not sure what I think anymore - it's a huge nasty debate and it makes my brain hurt just to consider it. But it does have to be done.
I think morally, he should be treated, it's unfortunate he is in our country illegally but none-the-less here he is!
We should not treat people whatever their issues for that matter, in anything less than a compassionate caring way.
I think maybe, tighter immigration controls would deter people from doing this in the first place.
maz x
I can see all sides--and feel them, as well. But lately, I've been coming to a point of "if this is a human being, how can I look at him from a point of superiority? Do I really have that right? Am I actually superior, or was I fortunate through an accident of birth?"
If he and I are fundementally the same, and he'd have had NO shot at life in his country of origin, how can I begrudge his attempts to do everything in the arsenal to stay alive?
It's the whole, "If I haven't walked in that person's shoes, how could I ever know" point of view, I guess.
Amy - it makes my brain hurt too - and my heart.
Maz - Nice to see you again. I lean towards allowing him to stay. I like to think my people are civilized enough to do that.
Jocelyn - As usual, so eloquently put.
Thanks to everyone for expressing your views - whichever side you fall on I respect your opinion. I'll keep you posted as the situation develops.
Post a Comment