I just realised that my 100th post came and went unnoticed, I've also remembered that I haven't done a medical update for some time - this is Medication Time after all.
The big news is that I've been getting dialysed through needles in my arm a lot more often than through the catheter in my chest. This is great for me as it means I'm that much closer to getting the wretched catheter out of my chest. Once that happens and the hole heals up I can go swimming again or even go away on a beach holiday!
It also means that I don't need to have more surgery to create a different fistula - the one created in January appears to be going very well although the blood vessels are still small and deep, but with more needling they will eventually grow and come closer to the surface. It's a Catch 22 situation - you need to get the needles in to make the vessels grow, yet the vessels are too small for a needle.
Apologies to the squeamish, but ... tough shit. If I have to deal with this then so do you. Ooh I could crush a grape I feel that assertive.
Friday, 18 May 2007
To the point
at 6:56 am
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 Comments:
Pleased it's going well. This was no where near as squeamish as some previous posts!
That's only because I didn't tell you about the size of the needles (1.7mm wide about 2" long) or how I managed to dislodge one needle internally, poked a hole in the vein wall and now have an enormous black bruise or the track marks and bruises along my arm that make look like a druggie. I didn't really want to blog about that ... whoops, I just did ;-)
Blimey woman, you're made of strong stuff I tell ya. I'm constantly amazed by your positive attitude and determination. Good on ya.
Gosh, and I was loath to tell of my OB/GYN experiences, feet in stirrups as the surgeon used an electric needle to burn away the excess granulation tissue.
Yours sounds far worse - though the smell of burning flesh takes a bit of getting used to. If it was anyone else's, I probably couldn't stand it.
Consider yourself gently hugged, with lots of best wishes for surgery in your future.
Well glad to hear it all on the right track. Hope you are ok.
XX
I don't see why it should stop you from going to the beach. Go. Enjoy. You deserve it.
If anyone mentions anything about scars, just kick sand in their eyes and say "Ha, you were saying?!"
Yes, am very squeamish. need to lie down and pretend I didn't read all that...
la la la la la la....
Puss
Post a Comment