This hasn't been one of the best weeks of leave I've ever had. I was at the hospital yeserday for the third time so far this week and I will have to go back again tomorrow. Yesterday's dialysis started on a promising note with me finally being able to have a needle in my arm. It was only a baby needle but it was in and didn't clot so that's the important thing. My blood was taken out via the catheter and returned through the needle - supposedly this toughens up the fistula so eventually it will be able to take 2 needles.
The trouble started when I had my cup of tea and biscuits after I had been on for an hour or so. I don't normally eat biscuits due to the constant battle with my weight but I get extremely hungry while I'm dialysing so I make an exception and have 3 custard creams with my second cup of tea ... bliss. I used to eat my sandwiches too until I started getting nauseous after eating them so I restricted myself to the biccies instead.
Unfortunatley it seems that I can't even tolerate the biscuits anymore. I started to feel really poorly around the same time that Sister Mac was changing out one of the lines on my machine. I started to retch and suddenly it was all hands to the pumps. I had 3 nurses fussing round me as they were trying to look after me, the machine and the needle in my arm. Every time I gagged I put presure on the needle and I was in danger of it blowing out the fistula which would have meant some internal bleeding. Fortunately they managed to contain everything (literally) but I was left feeling miserable and embarassed.
Apparently while some people seem to be able to stuff their faces with all the forbidden foods while they're dialysing there are a few like me who get sick when they eat. Something to do with the rapid changes in body chemistry that occur when you're having fluid and waste products removed from your blood.
I can't praise those girls and boys enough - they really are angels. They're a small, tight knit team who work long hours and are always kind and funny. Nothing seems to be too much trouble for them. The last few months could have been much worse, but these angels have made my transition to a kidney patient smooth and free from worry, and even though I've known them for only a few months I think it is fair to say that I love them.
Friday, 8 September 2006
Major bummer/Angels in blue
at 11:16 am
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment