Wednesday, 10 January 2007

Bingo Fuel

I’ve had to concede defeat and give in to the fact that I’ve gained weight over Christmas and the New Year. Of course for most people that’s nothing exceptional but as I am trying desperately to lose weight in order to be activated on the transplant list it is something of a blow.

I dropped my "dry weight" a couple of weeks ago and ever since I’ve been struggling to take off the extra fluid that computer thinks that I’ve gained between sessions. On 2nd January the computer reckoned that I had gained 4½ kilos which equates to 4½ litres of fluid – to put things into perspective that’s almost 8 pints. Not only did I not drink that much fluid over the weekend but I still have enough kidney function to pee a little bit therefore making me able expel some of what I take in the way nature intended.

Needless to say losing 8 pints of fluid in 3½ hours to restore me to my dry weight is hard going. Consequently I’ve been restricting my fluid intake more and more in order to keep up and it’s making me ill and miserable. Amongst other things this has had a catastrophic effect on my bowel, my poor fluid starved body is sucking out the moisture of the umm, number 2’s, making it impossible for them to pass through.

Ergo I must have gained good old fashioned lard.

I don’t deserve to be as heavy as I am. It’s not like I eat crap all day long, I never have. OK I have a few glasses of wine and a packet of crisps every couple of days, I’m not a saint for crying out loud but what I survive on and still not lose weight is ridiculous.

It drives me nuts when I read those sappy success stories in the Sunday papers of people who suddenly have an epiphany over their weight and by simply cutting out fish & chips, pies, chocolate, curries and pints of beer and eating a healthy diet instead they lose 8 stone – if it was that effin’ simple I’d be giving Posh Spice a run for her money by now, I've been on a low calorie, low fat, low sugar diet since I was 11 years old!

My next step now is medication. I’m going to be taking a drug called Xenical which prevents the body from absorbing fat. Instead the fats within your food just pass through your system undigested so if you have too much ie more than 3-5% you run the risk of such delights as oily diarrhoea or even anal leakage. Niiiice.

1 Comment:

Shaz said...

Oh Hun, I empathise with constipation/weight gain!

I promised you the story of my New Years Day. I'd worked hard over Xmas, struggled to stay up to see in New Year with the family (without alcohol) & thought I was chillin out on New Years Day (when Andy hit "The Club" & the girlies were out with friends).

Untill my 11 yr old had the most horrendous pains between 10 pm & 1 am on 02/01/07 (lack of cereal for breakfast, crap for lunch without fruit & one real meal a day).

NHS were hopeless (We might call you back in 2 hours!) so we phoned the GP, who advised pain killers.

After force feeding fruit juice, weetabix & a cup of coffee (not usually permitted) at 7 am she announed . . . . "I've had a belch, a pump & a pooh & I feel so much better!"

At this point my eyes were held up by my knees & I wanted to cry!

God knows how frustrated you must feel.

But (although it's very selfish) you need to know how much we need you to have this medication so you can be well enough to keep posting.

Pleased don't be misearable or ill x x x