Wednesday, 24 January 2007

Sad Dragon

I had my first unsupervised outing since my surgery today. I took a walk down to visit the giant who is holding the high street of our small town in a full-nelson and squeezing the life out of it ... Tesco in other words. It's only a 10 minute walk so I wrapped up well and headed off.

I only needed a couple of things, basically I only went out to stretch my legs and get some fresh air. I was queuing at the cigarette kiosk because it was quicker than going through the main tills, I looked over at the papers and was horrified to see on the front page of the local paper a news story about someone from my squadron. He's been jailed for 2 years.

I can't remember how long ago it was but I know the investigations have been running for some time, this man was involved in a car accident which left 2 people dead. It was a head on collision, from what little I know about it, he was overtaking another car when he smashed into a car coming in the opposite direction. I don't believe this was reckless driving but more a serious error in judgement by a man unfamilar with our roads while driving a lefthand drive vehicle - he had his own family in the car with him at the time and his wife was seriously injured.

I feel desperately sorry for the loss of a mother and her daughter. Nothing can mitigate that loss and I'm not sure sending a decent man to jail for 2 years balances the books.

Discuss?

PS Sad Dragon because my squadron is called the Green Dragons. Although a lot of them piss me off from time to time I am fiercely loyal to them and consider myself the Dragon Den Mother.

7 Comments:

Drama Queen said...

Hey,

Not really here to comment on the post. Living in Brussels for the past few months has left me totally out of touch on UK news. Just thought I’d return the favour and lurk here for a bit. . .

DQ

Calamity Jane said...

Oo er, that was quick! Welcome! Come in and make yourself comfy, I'll make you a nice cup of tea shall I? :-)

Drama Queen said...

Yeah, I happened to be on the blog same time as you, I think. . .its not usual, sometimes I'm quick slack (*she says trying to play it cool*)

I'll be sure to stay in exchange for a biccy. . .

Calamity Jane said...

Aha! So bribery does work! Name your price DQ.

Drama Queen said...

Chocolate hob nobs CJ - Cannot get them here ANYWHERE!

Zoe Brain said...

A HA! 318th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, right?
With the test of the Chinese Anti-satellite booster, I wonder if any of the 318th's aircraft will be re-plumbed to take a new ASAT...

Don't tell me, you'd have to kill me etc. Pure speculation on my part, as the 318th was the only squadron in the USAF ever to shoot down a satellite. I bet there's some talk about that in the wardroom, and many curses at Congress who cancelled the program back in '88 IIRC.

Just don't tell the fighter jocks you're their den-mother. Yes, Goodness knows they need one! But they're fighter jocks! I know the type, my best friend at school is now a group captain, ex F/A-18 instructor.

God bless them, and their long-suffering families.

Calamity Jane said...

DQ - I'll have to find a way to send you some. Surely in the land of such gastronomic delights as chips & mayo, and Belgian chocolate they must have something else that tickles your fancy?

Zoe - sorry dear, guess again. I'm actually in a maintenance squadron so no jocks, only 6 officers and approx 400 enlisted. I think our main claim to infamy was crashing an F-15 into the hush house wall while we were testing her engines!