Tuesday, 16 January 2007

Incisive wit

Picture this: you're lying there on the narrow surgical table, draped and prepped for surgery. Your arm, out of sight behind the drapes, is flooded with local anaesthetic (which incidentally hurts like !*$& as it goes in) , the theatre assistants are surfing Match.com and soft music is playing in the background.

Feeling a little anxious you desperately search for something to focus on other than what's going on on the other side of the drapes. Your mind tunes in to what's actually playing in the CD player.

Ooh goody, a collection from the 70's ... Roberta Flack and Killing Me Softly ... The 3 Degrees and When Will I See You Again? ... Boston with More Than A Feeling ... Blue Oyster Cult and Don't Fear The Reaper ...

Eeeeek!!

3 Comments:

Dave said...

Holy Crap Batman. It's time to run for the door. I was having surgery in my mouth once (tonsils, wisdom teeth or something) and they were going to put me under. As I was falling asleep, the heart monitor disconnected and all you heard was the flat line tone. I immediately woke up enough to yell at them. Pretty funny now.

Zoe Brain said...

It could have been worse : Pink Floyd "The Final Cut"....

Last time I had surgery, there I was, both arms stretched out in a crucifix position, so totally relaxed I fell asleep before they started the anesthetic. No need for pentothal, they just switched the O2 to Nitrox.

6 hours later, I woke up. No nausea, not even "plastic throat" from the intubation, it was just like waking from sleep. Quite different from all the other Generals I've had.

I hope your op was as successful as mine was. More Hugs too, Zoe

Calamity Jane said...

Awww Dave - thanks for the laugh ( I know I shouldn't but I can't help it!)

Zoe - my op has achieved was it was supposed to do, all I need to do now is keep the darn thing functioning - can't sleep on it, carry anything heavy, or let my blood pressure get too low or else the bridge between the 2 blood vessels will clot (which is what happened with my previous fistula).