I need to enlist the help of all you ladies (any guys reading can consider themselves honorary ladies only without all the monthly hormone surges and all that goes with them).
You may recall from my previous post that I absolutely loathe the scent of musk. Well, by a strange coincidence, upon my return from the dialysis unit today I discovered on my doorstep a little gift box of Body Shop Musk. By a process of elimination I have concluded that it must have been left there by sister-in-law F because my mother-in-law is far too cheap to get me something like that just for being poorly, besides she brought me 2 perfectly good jigsaws from the charity shop last week, and SIL M gave me an identical gift box for Christmas.
I am at the point where I feel I really need to say something. For one thing these kind and very sweet girls are wasting their money buying me something that's going to end up down the charity shop. For another I'm fed up with my Christmas presents ending up down the charity shop.
A few years ago I confided to SIL F that I hated the smell of musk. At this point she hadn't ever bought me any, it was her mother who was the main culprit buying me Jovan Musk all the time. I fully expected word to get back to MIL if not the other SIL. Well MIL seemed to stop buying it for me but I ended up with musk from both SILs for Christmas.
One year I took a set back to the Body Shop for exchange but the assistant said it wasn't worth anything because they hadn't had that particular gift set in for a couple of years. So to add insult to injury I'm obviously getting my SIL's cast-offs because she doesn't like it either!
So, what do I do, say something or smile sweetly and quietly flog it off on Ebay?
Tuesday, 30 January 2007
Smells like teen spirit
at 3:21 pm
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 Comments:
CJ, I'm still trawling through your archives (sounds dirty, I know). Tell me, are you poorly?
I'm really sorry to hear that. I'm even more sorry to hear that someone bought you musk! I hate it too.
I'd say ebay but who is going to buy it (honestly). Possible uses (and trust me, I'm a Cosmetics Buyer afterall);
Air Freshener
Air Freshener and, er,
Air Freshener.
And if you have a dog, wash him in it. . .
Guess its the thought that counts and it was a nice thought. . .
Try reverse psycology & tell them all how much you love Musk. This would have stopped my ex-MIL in her tracks! talk about that awful perfume that your friend wears. If not try the old dears at the car booty
DQ - no can do on the air freshener, I hate the smell that much. And I hate to give the impression that I'm ungrateful, I am truly (grateful that is). It's just, it's just ...
As for the poorly bit, I'm not ill per se, I'm at home recovering after surgery for something to do with me having kidney failure and needing dialysis. So not really ill ;-)
Shaz - saying I liked the stuff when I didn't really is what got me into this mess to start with. MIL, after giving us matching his and hers sets of Jovan Musk one Christmas asked if I liked it and I had to say yes in order to not offend her. I was thenceforth doomed.
Luckily we have 2 charity shops in town, perhaps I should mark the boxes somehow to see if I get them back next year. Now that is an uncharitable thought. Bad CJ!
Yikes - kidney failure = not good. Being at home can be good but not for wrong reasons. Musk problem - piece of piss to fix. Wrap it up and give it back to the person who gave it to you as their next birthday/christmas present. They'll soon get bored of pressie-ping-pong ;-)
lol @ pressie ping-pong
I don't like musk either.
I think the best and kindest way to do it is to claim a sudden allergy -- tell the givers about a mystery rash / sniffle / headache that went on for weeks intermittantly, and was eventualy pinned down to musk.
Or you can say it interacts badly with whatever medication you happen to be on.
Or do what my mother does: 'I love it, but your father can't stand the stuff, so I'm afraid I just can't use it.' (it helps that my father is a bit absent minded and just agrees with whatever she says).
Whatever you do, make the story long and involved and keep telling it in the lead-up to birthdays and Christmases.
Spanishgoth - hola and welcome. Yup kidney failure, a bit of a pisser, or not as the case may be :-) The perpetual gift ping pong game is an option that I might resort to if things get desperate.
Clare - welcome back. I think your idea regarding allergies is possibly the kindest and worth pursuing. I just need to pluck up the courage to actually say something!
Post a Comment