You know taking 6 weeks off work and doing nothing isn't all it's cracked up to be. I'm bored and lonely and I'm only halfway through this sentence in stir. I'm sick to death of daytime telly and I've read all the new books that I bought.
I asked people not to visit me for the first couple of weeks knowing that I'd have a problem with looking presentable and getting to the door to let them in but no, no-one listened so I was inundated with visitors, cards and bunches of flowers in the first couple of days after coming home when I was too sore and weary to appreciate them. Now all the flowers are wilting and so am I.
My boss turned up the day after I was discharged. I specifically said no food but he turned up anyway with a huge lasagne and a chocolate cake that his lovely wife made. I'd told him no food because of Captain Scarlet's aversion to all things wholesome and my assorted food restrictions. I don't wish to sound ungrateful but I loathe chocolate cake and the lasagne was the weirdest thing I have ever seen. It looked as though the filling had been vacuumed out - it was just pasta sheets with a little chopped tomato on the bottom and a tiny bit of soft cheese squidging out of one side. I tried a taste but promptly wrapped it back up and left it on the table.
Half an hour later I shuffled back into the kitchen to discover that Cami thought the lasagne made a very nice, heated bed. I love the expression on her face. I can't decide whether to fib and say that the lasagne was lovely or tell them about the unfortunate cat incident - I'm sure they would be amused but I also run the risk of having another one delivered.
Wednesday, 26 March 2008
I wondered lonely as a clown
at 6:21 am
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

14 Comments:
Sorry you're so bored and lonely. I'd visit if I could! (And I wouldn't bring weird lasagne, honest). At least Cami enjoyed it!
How is the recuperation going?
Sonnjea - it's all going well thanks, frustratingly well because I'm not allowed to drive yet although I feel I'd manage OK. Went tenpin bowling the other day ... on my nephews' Wii - that wore me out though!
So your boss's wife's lasagne was so good your cat took a nap on it?! Says it all. I'd thank them kindly and tell them it was lovely.
Puss
Can't tell them it tasted of cat hair, now can you? Maybe best to do a truth aversion, such as, "My whole household was just *taken* with that lovely and practical dish!"
I'm sorry you're stir crazy. Crud. Can you pretend you're a Victorian woman and turn to your handiwork as the only barrier between you and madness?
Sorry. Guess I'm not much comfort. But I would come see you right about now, not bring food, but I would bring stories and an ease with long silences.
If I lived closer I would come and visit! (And I make great lasagne, actually). x
just popping by to say "hi" and thanks for leaving me a note. I like the sound of my voice, too, actually. Many folks have said I sound like Holly Hunter. Huh. Dunno about that, but at least I don't look like her! Not nice of me, no?
If I had heaps of money, I would fly out and cook you up something you LIKE. I make a good lasagna, but that doesn't mean you like lasagna, does it? Anyway, maybe you just want to get back on with things. I hope that comes to you soon.
I'm 38 and the Wii kicks my arse, I am embarrassed to admit. I score wonderfully with the bowling bit, but honestly, my arm and lower back . . . I'm going about it all wrong.
Jane, you are hilarious! That bare-bones lasagna sounds nightmarish--a perfect cat bed. BUT I would have embraced the chocolate cake with open arms.
BTW, your hummus is delicious. The sun-dried tomatoes are a great touch!
P.S. Be sure to read my comment on your March 18 post. Such a gift to us.
I'm so sorry your wishes weren't honoured. People mean well but when they ignore requests during times of illness and recovery, it can be very upsetting.
As for food, if you didn't ask for it and can't eat it, throw it out. Just thank them for it. You don't have to say what you did with it :)
{Hug} I really hope you get some rest. Now that you've exhausted tv and books, maybe just music and sleeping will help? OH, there's always the internet too! Lots to read online at least. BBC has some good radio plays too. :)
Echomouse is right - just say "Thank for the lasagne, it was so thoughtful of you" - which is all true!
Argh! That's what I find frustrating about illness - you can't do anything, you can't get out, and everyone gets it soo wrong!! They mean well, but I find other people bore of illness quicker than the sufferer!
If you're well enough to make cups of tea you could just invite people round for a cuppa and a slice of that chocolate cake? And if not, just invite them anyway, and when they arrive get them to make the tea!
Puss - there's some recent history with my new boss that leaves me just dying to tell him the true story about the lasagne, the prat.
Jocelyn - thanks babe, I'm so useless at small talk but I'm an expert at long silences.
Amy - oooh, I bet your lasagne is beautfiully constructed and delicious!
JOT - Hello! It's OK, ordinarily I love lasagne, it's one of the 4 major food groups - lasagne, pizza, ice cream and salad (that's a surprise one I know but it needs bacon bits, croutons, cheese and honey mustard dressing to be worthwhile)
San - glad the houmous worked out OK for you. Fortuanately the Cap'n devoured the chocolate cake before the cats decided to test drive it for comfort. And thank you :-)
Mousie - I have resolved to get off my lardy arse and do something this week, the house is a wreck and so am I. I feeling, well let's just say I'm feeling, and I need to get moving before I root on the sofa.
Mrs Woman - thanks have been said to the man which have left the taste of ashes in my mouth to take away the taste of crappy lasagne - long story. Ah cups of tea plural, I wish.
I am laughing so lound reading this post. Your story made me laugh out loud big time!!!! This picture is too funny, and SHOULD be an odd shot~especially with the attached description of information. Otherwise, we would think the cat was on its bed, instead of a lasagna.
Glad you stopped by!
I notice on your hubby's site there are no Honda CB1300's for sale....must be good then! LOL! Have a good day.
Dxxx
Oh what a wonderful wee sofa for a puss-cat- warm, soft and cheesey. LOL!!!! What a great photo!!!!
I'd visit if I could. Actually, email me your address, as Bob & Dilly still haven't sent you a thank you card for your parcel!!!! I'll see if they can sneak in something to makeyou smile!
Post a Comment