Well folks, I'm glad to say that I came home yesterday, a mere 2 days post op. And what a trial those 2 days were The operation itself went very well and only took an hour or so but I was in the recovery room for almost 4 hours after struggling to come round from the anaesthetic.
I came back up to my hospital room at around 2pm and was soon feeling well enough to have a cup of tea and some water although I still had some nausea. I had expected to be in quite a bit of pain and indeed I was but it wasn't where I expected it to be, it was much deeper, I thought it was coming from my bowel. Damn that houmous, I thought. What on Earth possessed me to eat such a thing prior to surgery?
Fearing that I need to do a number 2 I asked to be helped to get out of bed. I struggled over to the loo, bear in mind that I was hooked up to a morphine pump and an insulin/glucose drip through one hand and I had a foley catheter plumbed into my bladder. Unfortunately nothing was forthcoming so I struggled back into my room got changed out of the surgical gown and into a clean nightie and sat next to the bed for a while.
My supper arrived and as I thought the nausea may have been down to not eating since the night before I thought I'd try and eat a sandwich. I mananged about 3 quarters of it before I started to feel very sick and just Capt Scarlet arrived I started throwing up violently. The odd thing was that it was just green water, bilious water that sloshed out of the bowl and all over me and my nice clean nightie. The Capt said it was just like that scene from The Exorcist and expected my head to start rotating.
Back to a hospital gown for the night. All through the night I was in severe pain and felt terrible again, I was given 3 different kinds of anti-sickness medicine and told off for not using the morphine pump often enough.
The next morning I managed some breakfast and was able to have a wash and changed into my only other clean nightwear which was a pair of M&S pyjamas ... while still sporting the catheter which created quite an interesting silhouette.
It was discovered that the canulas in my hand supplying morphine and other goodies were not actually going into the vein, they were just delivering the fluid to beneath my skin so they were removed leaving me with a lovely black and blue hand which is twice the size of normal.
After lunch - a shoe leather/cottage pie which I was unable to eat on grounds of it being inedible and feeling nauseous again, I was whisked off for dialysis.
I arrived at the unit feeling really sick but put it down to the wheelchair ride over - I was supposed to have been brought over in my comfy bed but the only bed route through the hospital to the unit lay through a ward which had just been closed to a c. dificle outbreak. My alternatives were to be taken by ambulance to the unit or go by wheelchair which would involved being wheeled outside on a bitterly cold sleety, snowy day. Not wishing to be a burden on the NHS I opted for the wheelchair.
At the dialysis unit I settled into my chair for a snooze but woke up feeling very queer indeed. I reached for one of the sick bowls that I had to hand just in time as I exploded with green watery nastiness all over again. This time it was so violent that it bounced off the bottom of the bowl and ricocheted all over my face, head, chest, arms, everything was covered. I was so upset and embarassed that I just burst into tears while the clinic manager, God bless her, cleaned me up and got me into yet another hospital gown.
Something was clearly wrong with me so I insisted on seeing a doctor when I returned to the ward. She informed me that most likely my bowel had suffered some paralysis during the operation. Bowels are sulky things apparently and if you touch them as you may well have to do during a hysterectomy, they tend to sulk and stop working for a while.
Well that nasty little tale brings us up to my last day in hospital wherein I was determined to come home. My sulky bowel has started to move things along although it isn't doing it quietly or gently. I'm up and about, had a shower this morning, washed & blow dried my hair, still having a little difficulty getting out of bed unaided but other than that I've made a miraculous recovery.
I haven't noticed any ill effects from being surgically placed in the menopause yet, but I can tell you it feels damn good not to have to go through a monthly period ever again. I have had so much trouble over the years, pain and embarrassment as pads fail to hold everything and I'm in a public place with a huge bloodstain on my clothes or office chair. Never again. Fantastic!!
Friday, 7 March 2008
Period. Full stop
at 3:36 pm
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 Comments:
Rally very glad to hear you are up and about (sulky bowel and all...) xxx
Good to know you are home safe and sound - despite hospital unpleasantness.
Puss
Bless your heart. I had uterine fibroids and went through the whole bloodstains-in-public ordeal. We deserve a medal.
Your Captain Scarlet and his exorcist humor--love it!
May that sulky bowel dwell on some brighter thoughts and work its magic smoothly.
Oh my. What you've been through.
And still you blew dry that hair.
You are WOMAN.
Oh I'm so glad you're home!
And so angry they messed up your painkiller drip. Isn't that just typical??!!
As for the bowel stuff... ouch!! I ususally go 4 or 5 times a day (Bob had already broadcast this to the world so hey, why bother with discretion....) but about 10 days ago I was very grumbly and windy and painful. And just could NOT go.
Well, not going is an undiscovered country to me and so it was fascinating but got very frustrating in a very short time.
Turned out that the cereal bars I eat had changed their recipe- to include a 'pro biotic' which was meant to 'help preserve and improve a healthy digestive tract'.
What the??
Leave my b****y digestive tract alone!
Got back to normal after a few days but MAN! Not being able to poo is the worst pain ever.
As for periods OH DON'T GET ME STARTED!!!!!!!! If men had them we'd have a 3 week month let alone a 5 day week.
I have been literally writhing with them, screaming and crying.
Even now at 40 about 1 in 3 is crippling.
I take a herb called Agnus Castus which helps so much it's magic, I swear.
THat, and heat pads, and chocolate..... but still have to plan everyting round my diary.
Sorry... waffling again.....
Sending you lots and lots of hugs. I hope you're over the worst now.
)))))huggles(((((
Hullo!
Mummy sed yu'd had sulky poo!
Thort I'd pop over!
But she mayde me promiss not to mayle eny jokes abowt it.
Q. Wy is sulky poo painful?
A. Cos it comes owt wiv it's arms folded.
Sorry. Cuddent help myself. Sorry. Sorry.
)))BEAR HUGS!(((
Carnt help it it's in me beads...
Oh my... green vomit and that unrelenting nausea... it's one of those things that you never forget. Reading your experience just brings the whole thing back. You have my deepest sympathy!
I am so glad to hear that you are finally on the mend.
I am so glad to hear you're home and having an amazing recovery! Yayyyy!!!
Amy - thanks, and thanks for the card!
Puss - thank you, I always do so much better once I get home.
San - My Mum didn't call it The Curse for nothing
Jocelyn - I am Woman. Hear me roar!
Helena - you me and Bob are going to have to cooperate on a scatalogical blog one day :-)
Bob - thanks for visiting, you always brighten my day
Mrs Woman - you too? Sorry to stir things up again
Echomouse - nice to see you. Thanks, I do seem to be making an amzing recovery, I'm waiting nervously for it all to backfire.
Hi Jane! I've just come back from Canada, as you know, helping a friend who'd had surgery. She's one of the dozen or so worldwide who has my unusual syndrome. We compared notes, and we both have in common a number of unusual skeletal and endocrinal abnormalities, so it's pretty much confirmed now that there's a genetic cause. Such markers are typical of other genetic problems.
One of the nurses there does obstetrics, and she compared the op to "a 24 hour breech labour, followed by an emergency c-section and radical hysterectomy". So I know how you must be feeling. It takes it out of you.
Better out than in, but still....
Now to get your strength up for round 2: Kidneys Galore.
I prescribe.. frequent doses of Captain Scarlet, and Chocolate.
Oh BTW - Our joke over the next 3 weeks post-op was that she was getting 35 years of missed periods, all at once.
Hugs, Zoe
Post a Comment