Gardeners of a delicate disposition should turn away now. Go on, toddle off to your potting shed.
I love dandelions. I love their shaggy yellow heads which are the harbingers of spring, I love the leaves which give the plant its name - dents de lion ... lion's teeth, and I love the fluffy pom-pom seed heads most of all. As a child I launched countless thousands of tiny parachutes towards unsuspecting neighbourhood lawns as I counted off the time.
Did you know you can make an ersatz coffee from the roots?
I know I'm a disgrace to my green-fingered sisterhood, I should hate dandelions, eradicate them, wrench them wriggling and screaming from between the genetically modified delicate specimens that we choose to put in the garden.
But I don't. I'm doing my bit for conservation, I'm saving the planet one weed at a time.
Monday, 30 April 2007
Rebel yell(ow)
at 7:25 am
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 Comments:
Do you frequently wet the bed as well? I'm sure that's the childhood taunt we employed when dandelions were picked...
Puss
I don't think you're a disgrace at all.
When I was a kid my Mum bought me a book all about wild flowers. I loved it, and I wish I still had it.
The other day I saw a packet of mixed seeds of wild flowers, and the only thing that stopped me from getting it was the fact that I wouldn't be able to have my lawn mowed if I grew them! I am very tempted to get a packet and sew them in a large plant pot though. :)
Puss - fortunately my kidleys don't produce enough wee for me to do that ...
Mrs Woman - do it!
I abide by the rule that a weed is only a plant in the wrong place! I love dandelions and so do my guinea pigs...
No wonder those snails love ya! Not being a fully fledged member of your "sisterhood" of green fingered ladies I struggle to define the weed from the plant at times if it has a flower atop of it but my favourite is buttercups (Chin up, do you like cheese?)
Eek! Sorry - how thoughtless of me - hope that comment didn't offend you...
Puss
Puss - no problemo
Amy - quite right too. Thanks for looking in.
Shaz - aww lovely, buttercups, I don't get them though. I wish the snails would restrict themselves to the dandies!
Dandelion Wine
4 quarts dandelion flowers
4 quarts boiling water
4 pounds sugar
1 lemon
2 oranges
Pour boiling water over the flowers. Let stand 24 hours. Than boil 20 minutes. Put in the rind of the lemon and orange in when boiling. Strain through colander. Add the pulp of the lemon and orange sliced in when it is lukewarm. Add a tablespoon of yeast and let stand a week. Than strain it through cheesecloth and put it up. Keep a month before using. If you put it in a jar, do not tighten all at once(the lid)(Don't seal too soon or you will over-pressure the bottles)
NOTA BENE : It contains a mild diuretic.
Other recipes here.
I have a little boy who is nearly 6, and so of course we have dandelions! The more the better!
Post a Comment