Judgemental isn't usually a state I find myself in, my motto normally being 'Live and let live' but I'm going to have another mini rant now.
I'm sure 85% of bloggers, if they're honest, will have visited Belle de Jour (her blog of course, we know she only makes housecalls) if only to see what all the fuss is about. I have, in fact I recently purchased Belle's book (I think everyone's blog should be available in paperback - it's so much more convenient for catching up on past posts and we should all be paid for the entertainment we provide). Let's leave aside whether we believe any of it is actually true or not, let's ignore for a moment its subject matter. Let's focus instead on where I bought it for the bargain price of £4.99: Sainsburys.
Yes a no holds barred, explicit account of 6 months in a London call girl's life is available in your local family supermarket. Now let's go back to the subject matter, how to fist/rim/bugger/all-of-the-above-in-combination-with-a-cucumber comfortably and professionally is on the shelf without so much as a parental guidance sticker.
I knew it would be saucy but I didn't expect it to be as explicit, I thought it would be tamed somehow. At least the TV show is on after the watershed and is G rated. I bought the book because I think bloggers deserve some compensation/recognition and it is far easier to tote a paperback around than a laptop even with wi-fi. I also thought it would be a jolly wheeze to leave something with a picture of a scantily clad Billie Piper (Billie Piper? Puhlease) in the communal library at the dialysis unit when I was finished with the book. Now I'm not so sure, I may be single-handedly responsible for a reduction in the burden of the elderly on the state pension.
I don't consider myself a prude otherwise I wouldn't have bought the book, but I do worry about what effect it could have on a minor. I remember vividly being about 12 and after rooting around in my brother's bedroom (illicitly of course, yes I was one of those horrible little sisters) I came across his collection of topshelf magazines. I remember being at once fascinated and disgusted but it's not the photos that haunt me, it's the letters from the readers. Somehow putting slightly aberrent practices and fantasies into print is more disturbing than pictures. Bugger, I used the word aberrent, I must be a prude after all, just call me Mary Whitehouse
Friday, 23 November 2007
Jeux sans frontières
at 10:17 am
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 Comments:
I've become rather more blase about such matters than I was.
More tolerant too. But that means that monogamy and a rather conventional love life is also part of the great spectrum of sexual orientations. It's not prudery, it's a matter of personal preference.
Ok, I'm a prude too. Which given my peculiar circumstances is something of a disadvantage. But it's the way I am.
Enough about you, let's talk about life for a while.... (do you like Alanis? me too)
Um,,,,, honestly I have never heard of her or her book... LOL but I AM a prude in my old age I think! With 2 teenagers at home that have been raised with extremely high moral standards I am constantly amazed at the world and it's deterioration.
Of course, when I was a teen, I contributed to that deterioration- HA!!!
I think the world outside our doorstep should come with a warning label... if we can just find the perfect one, we could be rich!!!
((hugs for you))
Rachelle
I havn'r read her book - was rather put off my Girl With a One-Track Mind's. But have read Belle's blog. I think she picked up a book deal very quickly and so there's much more in the book than there is on the blog.
I'm very much in two minds about her - if she's genuine, good on her, but there are people who's opinion I respect who swear the whole thing is made up, so I'm on the fence.
Puss
Post a Comment