I was supposed to have my chest line replaced today but as it turned out I had it replaced yesterday so I'm currently sitting on a lovely padded cloud of codeine & paracetamol waiting for Captain Scarlet to come home and wash my hair for me.
When I arrived at dialysis yesterday morning they couldn't get blood to flow through the line to the machine so I had to trip on over to Addenbrooke's to have a new line fitted. Now this is the catheter that goes into the skin above my right boob, tunnels up under the skin towards my collarbone and then dips down into my subclavian vein. It gets stitched in where it enters the skin and there's another incision just on my collarbone where they open up the skin in order to pull and push it to where it's supposed to go. It's literally my lifeline because without it I can't have dialysis.
It's not the first time I've have one replaced, when I first started dialysis I had a different line. For the first month while there are still stitches holding everything in place in you're not allowed to get the stitches wet. When my stitches came out I celebrated with a long hot shower, keeping dressings and gauze on to stop surprisingly dirty soap (you really don't want to know what lives in your soap) getting into the wounds.
Afterwards I had to remove the dressings to clean everything with antiseptic and replace with clean dry dressings. Well I couldn't get off the gauze that was taped to the end of the catheter, so I decided to cut the tape off. Unfortunately I managed to cut off one of the lumens (the end of the catheter has two limbs or lumens - one for blood to go out to the dialyser, one for the cleaned blood to come back to me). Fortunately I cut it below the clamp or else I would have either bled to death on the bathroom floor or inhaled an air embolism into my heart. Sobering stuff (and kept the chopped off end as a talisman ... I know I'm a weirdo, but hey what can ya do. BTW check out the fabric on my desk chair mrrrreow).
So back to yesterday, the blocked line had been in my chest for 19 months and it was fairly well embedded so removing it and replacing with another was a pretty unpleasant experience ... under a local anaesthetic I might add. Long story short, much pushing and shoving later I was operational again. I'm sore and stiff, I have a huge swelling and the makings of an enormous bruise and I'm encased in clear adhesive dressings which I'm not looking forward to having ripped off tomorrow when everything gets checked and cleaned. But what's really irritating me is that I can't wash my own hair, I can't wait until Capt S comes home.
PS - I forgot to update you all on the whole live donor saga. Capt S has type O blood which means he's the "universal donor" and I, with my type AB blood am the "universal recipient". We're still waiting for tissue typing and cross matching to be completed before we see just how much of a perfect match we are for each other, but the preliminary results are looking promising.
Wednesday, 21 November 2007
White lines (now we're having fun baby)
at 5:18 pm
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 Comments:
Goodness. I'm a bit squeamish so I skim over the gory bits but am glad you are recovering.
Puss
Oh my that all sounds rather nasty... A little postal cheer coming your way!!
Oh gosh, yu AR brayve.
I'd be very intrestid to kno wat narsty stuff livs on soap- it will help in my arguments agenst havin barths. I knew that stuff waz up to sumthing.
By the way, how ar yu, arfter that codeine? Sumtimes Mummy taykes it if her arthritis gets bad, but wenever she taykes sum she carnt poo for days. This is sumwun hoo genrelly pooes sevral times a day so it maykes her swell up kwite a bit (hehehe).
Hope yor not havin poo trubbol. Yu don't need that on top ov evrything else. Life is always better arfter a good poo.
Mummy haz type B blud, wich she sez is rare. She also sez it proovs "sumwun up there haz a sik sense ov hewmer" becos she gets depresshun but her blud iz calld B Positiv. HAHAHA
:@}
Puss - just as well I didn't post the picture I had originally planned to then. I need to male up a health warning for some of my posts.
Amy! Ooooh I look forward to whatever it is that you've sent me.
Bob - you get all sorts of stuff in soap - gunge, bacteria, curly hairs. Most of these are quite harmless under normal circumstances but you wouldn't want to get them in open wound. I think you'll be OK having a wash.
That codeine is a bit of a bugger, well a bit of a bugger in reverse really. But that's what God invented All Bran and baked beans for, to counteract codeine.
And yes, type B is rare but AB is rarer - nur nur :-) You strike me a positive young bear so perhaps 2 positives - you and Mummy's B positive are actually making her negative? You keep doing what you do and she'll be alright.
Post a Comment