Thursday, 16 November 2006

Count Fistula

Looks like I shall be having more surgery just before Christmas which will be difficult to say the least especially as I was supposed to be cooking the Christmas dinner this year. Cap'n Marvel (my pet name for my husband) may have to do the catering instead ... he can just about manage beans on toast or mashed potato.

The surgery will be to either fix my existing fistula or to create a new one in my other arm. The current one clotted and collapsed following a procedure I had yesterday to X-ray the blood vessel. I'm fairly depressed not only because of the surgery but also because it means that I have to have this blessed tube in my chest for at least another 3 months.

I've spent 18 months trying to get a functioning fistula in use, I've had 3 operations so far - first to create one in my left wrist (it never worked), the next in my left elbow (it developed a kink that narrowed the blood flow) and finally I had surgery to remove the kink.

But it's not all doom and gloom, I'm finally starting to lose some weight - 1.5 kgs in the last month! Only another 20 or so and I can finally get on the transplant list and then life will get really interesting!

1 Comment:

Zoe Brain said...

May your surgery be boringly routine, may the nurses treat you as visiting royalty, and may the pain meds arrive a good half hour before the pain itself.

Take care Jane, thinking of you here in far off Chonburi. Get better - and slimmer - soon, OK?