I recently took the probably unprecedented step of actually forwarding the link for my blog to my boss. I needed him to know what caused my near-breakdown last week especially as the Shirt had wrongly indicated that it might have been the new Lieutenant who had stirred up the trouble; I couldn't adequately express what the problem was in person so I wanted him to read it instead.
He's a good egg and we had a heart to heart the next day and everything is fine now. He also seems to have taken on board the fact that I'm neither happy nor challenged in my present job and asked me was there anything else that I could take on. I told him that I fancied having a go at maintaining the squadron website to which he agreed and said that any training the squadron could fund I could go for.
I am now thinking that I might have bitten off more than I can chew after my first HTML lesson with the squadron's resident pointy headed computer whizkid, Codename: Tigger. A week ago I couldn't even spell HTML never mind would have considered writing my own code.
Now I know a little about code, and you know what they say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Well I'm armed and dangerous, luckily I'm armed with blanks but I have to tell you when you shoot yourself in the foot with a blank it still frickin' hurts!
Fortunately the only casualty so far has been my own blog. I had recently attempted to post images by clicking on the image button in the Blogger editor but each time my pictures have disappeared into the ether. I've tried troubleshooting with the Blogger Help files but have actually found them spectacularly unhelpful.
Today I decided to try writing an HTML tag (giggle, check out the techno speak) and after writing several broken tags I finally managed to get a picture of my husband uploaded (yes he's sitting in the cockpit of a Boeing 747 simulator, but that's another post). However, the picture takes up most of the screen and as much as I love the guy I figured my profile and all the links to archives, hit counter, etc, probably would be useful to have on display - he was obscuring the lot. So I moved him to the bottom of the page instead but my stuff is still missing in action.
Bollocks, bollocks, bollocks!
Oh well back to the drawing board. Now where did I put that 'HTML For Dummies'?
Saturday, 4 November 2006
Rubber Bullets
at 5:14 pm
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 Comments:
Hi Jane! I know a little about HTML - feel free to e-mail me.
At last! My fan club decided to show up! Miss you Sarge :-(
Jane, It is amazing that you left the old job and now you aren't "challenged" by your new one! (I say new but I know it's not because you will always be a PIMer bitching about the desks I "acquired"). They saddled me with the web pages at my new job and I have to go to my resident "pointy head" on Monday. Not looking forward to that one too much. Be careful for what you wish for, they could give GPC! That will fix you quick!
Post a Comment