Sunday, 18 March 2007

Henry's Day

It is a cruel twist of fate that Mother's Day this year falls on 18th March which should have been my son's 14th birthday. Note the "should" in that last sentence, Henry died when he was almost 4 months old. His death left an enormous wound in my heart which never quite heals, instead it gets torn open again every time his birthday rolls around; this year it had to fall on Mothering Sunday.

Henry was born at 26 weeks gestation by emergency caesarian after a rollercoaster ride of a pregnancy - this week we're going to terminate, no we'll try for another week, this week we're going to terminate ...

He weighed just 1 lb 10 oz and had been given a 50/50 chance of survival. It was 3 whole days before I was allowed out of intensive care to see him in his own little intensive care unit. I could barely take in what I saw before I passed out. Some mother I turned out to be.

The following day was Mother's Day. Next to my bed was a card from him - it contained a Polaroid picture of him and his hand prints. Later I got another card and some flowers. Clever little lad was my boy, especially considering he was intubated on a respirator and had just undergone surgery for a collapsed lung the night before.

The day before he died we were preparing to bring him home from hospital. We'd just bought his pram and his cot - I hadn't allowed myself to buy anything when I was pregnant, but I started buying things and then he died. What's wrong with this picture? Did I tempt fate?

Early one morning we got a call from the hospital saying we had to come at once, they wouldn't say why. In my heart I knew that he was gone. He was 15 weeks old.

The only time I got to see him without tubes or tape on his face was when he was dead. My sweet boy. When I can't sleep I imagine him lying sleeping on my chest and it calms me.

That day was a a blur but 2 things stick in my mind - I saw a herd of deer in a field in the early morning mist. They were startled to see anyone out so early. I sometimes see deer on my drive to the dialysis unit and the memory stabs me in the heart.

It was still early in the morning when we drove home and we ran over a hare. It's the only time I've ever seen a hare and I have the image of its huge paws zig-zagging along in front of the car until we caught it. I screamed. Does everything we touch have to die?

My kidney failure was diagnosed when I was 7 weeks pregnant. The doctors like to say that it was the pregnancy itself that prompted my kidneys to fail but the truth of the matter is that I'd been symptomatic for over 2 years before, and despite repeated visits to doctors no-one put everything together until it was too late.

The simple fact is that Henry saved my life. If I hadn't fallen pregnant no-one would have known how dangerously high my blood pressure was and I would probably have had a stroke and died. Another irony for you.

I have to wonder what I fucked up so badly in a previous life to be given this one.

9 Comments:

Drama Queen said...

Ahh CJ. What a touching and tearful post. I also talk about Mothers Day today but from the point of view of not having a mother to share it with. I have never thought of it from a Mother who has lost a child.

I was a premature baby and my Nan always says the fight I had then made my character now. Just as well as if I had a weaker character I don’t think I could get through some of the tough times.

Typically I fought only to lose my mother at a young age.

I think you are a lovely mum and although your son was cruelly snatched away from you no one take away your memories, however short.

Happy Birthday Henry.

*hugs*

SpanishGoth said...

I'm a bit stuck for words on this one. My son was taken straight into intensive care but pulled through and is now 13 and only just talking to me again after 5 years. He didn't take me leaving his mother too well (part of what caused Sundays posting).

All I will say is that it was most definitely NOT your fault.

*big Gothic hugs*

Calamity Jane said...

Thanks guys. Big hugs back at you too.

Glamourpuss said...

When we are strong, we are tested - sometimes to the point of the unbearable. But we survive. And we learn, little by little, how extraordinary we are. Suffering gives us empathy, lest we are tempted to use our power for anything less than the greater good.

To have suffered so makes you a great soul, not a bad one.

It must have taken courage to write that post - I admire you for it.

Puss

Drama Queen said...

Re a comment on my site. You are not an ex mum. You are a mum. Full stop.

Shaz said...

Ah CJ I cried when I read your post & was so frustrated that I couldn't comment or mail you. Henry will always be with you, in your heart, whatever day it is but I understand how difficult Sunday must have been or you. You were brave to share your experiences & wise to let it out. Happy Birthday Henry x x x x

Zoe Brain said...

I echo that : Happy Birthday Henry.

My own son was born 4 weeks premature, so I know all about NeoNatal ICUs.

Sometimes there are no words.

HUGS!!!

Anonymous said...

So sad. I'm sorry, CJ, to hear your story. My heart goes out to you.

Happy Birthday, Henry.

Anonymous said...

That's so very touching. I hardly know what to say. I'm a little late but would like to say Happy Birthday Henry. The irony of it all brings tears to my eyes.

((hugs))