The weekend before last was spent planting seeds. It's an annual event for me, even if the seeds germinate they are doomed to an early death in my excuse for a garden, but I get a kick out of it all the same. The fact that a 10 foot tall sunflower can grow from such a tiny seed just blows my mind.
This year's contenders for East Anglian Roulette, chosen primarily due to the poorness of my sandy soil and therefore standing a fighting chance of survival, are:
Red sunflowers
Yellow dwarf sunflowers
Garlic chives
Red Basil
Lime Basil
Nasturtiums in 4 varieties
Tomatoes
French Tarragon
Catmint
Lemon Balm
The shoots started to appear at the end of last week on some of the trays and when I saw that the nasturtiums and sunflowers which normally have sturdy shoots like beansprouts, were sending up spindly, thin, red-stemmed shoots I concluded that something was amiss.
My seed compost was contaminated! A pox on you Mr Innes and your demon seed!
I have no idea what I'm growing but I'm assured by an expert that at least it isn't cannabis. I shall keep them going just for the sake of curiosity but I sincerely hope that I'm not going to be eaten out of house and home by a bunch of Audreys.
Tuesday, 27 March 2007
Feed me Seymour!
at 7:20 pm
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

15 Comments:
You can't go wrong with Basil (although I get Pops to start mine off!). Never heard of Red basil but I do have a tray of Purple Basil on the go.
Paid 3 quid for 6 Chilli seeds! Rip off or what?
Post some pics of progress or as an R.I.P. if all goes wrong! Good luck
Gardening is not really my thing (although I'll never say never) but last year I really got into growing house plants. They're all doing really well and I hope to expand on my collection this year.
Shaz - I know! Seed prices these days are extortionate. I paid about £1.50 for 10 tomato seeds, they're tumbling toms so they grow nicely in hanging baskets and windowboxes. I've never got the hang of growing regular tomatoes, I don't pinch out the right shoots and they end up growing like triffids!
Mrs Woman - I have only 2 houseplants and they're both Christmas cacti. Giving me a houseplant is sentencing the poor thing to a slow, thirsty death. I admire you for being able to keep yours so well.
Or drowning. Torquemada has nothing on me and what I can do to plants
You could have sold cannabis to the local youth and made a tidy profit...
Puss
Good point Puss - growing cannabis could the home enterprise that I've been searching for. Must add Trill to the shopping list for the weekend.
It's gotta beat selling Avon...
Puss
You might as well join the club - according to Auntie Beeb the amount of cannibis grown in the UK has gone from 10% to 60% in the last 10 years.
WayHay - have a bang on this number man....and don't forget, it was good enough for jesus ;-)
ats confuse me Goth. Are you saying that now 60% of the weed SMOKED in the UK is actually grown in the UK? Or do the figures encompass more than Europe?
Or are you saying that actually 60% of ALL British residents are growing weed? Always thought my elderly neighbour was a bit protective of his gladioli.
Fact of the day - Did you know selling or buying Cannabis seeds isn't illegal . .. just growing & using the ickle mites is!
I expected a Toadtastic post by now!!!!!!!
Methinks it is 60% of all consumed is now grown in the UK.
As for illegal - it's just illegal to get caught.... ;-)
Where r u? Hope the triffids haven't taken over!
When I was young, and went fishing with my father, we used to mix hemp seeds with the bread as burley.
It made the fish a LOT easier to catch, and the hemp grew wild along the banks of the river Loddon.
Of course I ended up being allergic to the stuff, too much hemp pollen in minor cuts, too many husk particles in with the inevitable fish-hook wounds.
Hemp, and Indian hemp (Cannabis Sattiva) grows really well in the UK climate. There's probably so much of it around wild from rope-making in the 19th century that eradication is probably impossible.
Where r ooo?
Post a Comment