Monday, 12 March 2007

The Princess and the Pea

A few years ago my mother decided to move out of the bedroom she shared with my Dad, and move in to the spare room instead. Her decision wasn’t due to marital problems, merely down to a matter of comfort – she felt she couldn’t get in and out of their double bed anymore.

The guest bed in the spare room proved to be uncomfortable so they went out and selected a replacement. When the new bed was delivered Mum was adamant that the shop had sent the wrong one so it was sent back and replaced. A few months go by and Mum starts to complain that the bed is uncomfortable again. A replacement was sought again, delivered, installed, slept in and duly condemned.

This pattern went on for almost a year – something like 5 beds were bought in one year. My parents are both pensioners so can ill afford to throw their money around but my Dad’s world revolves around my Mum, and he was willing to do anything to make her happy. He attempted some modifications – removing buttons, adding padding, adding springs, boards, planks, anything he could possibly think of. Eventually they ended up with one of those space-age foam mattresses and at last she seems reasonably settled. That is until she decided that she wanted a new chair.

We went through the whole saga again with the chair. Supposedly the wrong one kept being delivered, one particular attempt got replaced twice at considerable extra cost but the search for a comfortable seat continued. I have one of the cast offs in my living room – doesn’t match my living room but rather than throw out a perfectly good chair I took it in. My Dad now sits on another of the rejects. Mum finally accepted one chair but most of the time chooses to sit on the settee from the old suite.

My Mum has always been difficult to please so I didn’t really give it a lot of thought – I just thought that’s Mum all over. Every Christmas I have endeavored to buy her something that makes her say “Oh that’s wonderful, just what I wanted!” but every year I’m crushed by the disappointment as she primly announces "thank you". She didn’t even unwrap her Christmas presents from me last year. And I have since heard through my Dad that every single item I spent ages choosing was unsuitable in some way.

What we didn’t realise was that the bed and chair saga were part of her developing dementia due probably to Parkinson’s Disease, and in the space of about 6 months my Mum has gone from being a tad daffy to barely recognizing the people around her.

She often thinks my Dad is her mother. She asks if her father (who died 60 years ago when she was just 16) is in the other room and she cries and has tantrums every time my Dad breaks it to her that her Dad is dead, it’s as though we have killed him off.

She either calls me by my sister’s name (my sister died nearly 30 years ago in a motorcycle accident) or she thinks I’m one of her friends. Sometimes she thinks my brother and I are dead and she has to get ready for our funeral. She behaves like a child.

Mum had a brain scan recently – Dad was perversely hopeful that she had a brain tumour, his reasoning being that the doctors can do something about a brain tumour. As it turns out her brain is actually shrinking and parts are being starved of oxygen because the Parkinson’s is hardening the blood vessels. She will be given some drugs usually given to Alzheimer’s patients.

None of it is her fault of course and we don’t blame her for anything but when you have everything you do thrown back in your face as not good enough it gets a little old. It is an awful situation and I worry constantly about my Dad’s state of mind. I find it stressful visiting because I don’t know what to say to the woman who should know me better than anyone, the woman who shuffles off to her bedroom because I’m a frightening stranger. My Dad lives with it day in day out.

I get upset because I’m having a shitty time with my illnesses and it should be my Mum giving me a hug and making a fuss of me. I’m sorry this has been a bit of a self-indulgent ramble today.

9 Comments:

Shaz said...

I may not be your Mam but I'm some ones Mam so {{{Mam hugs to you}}}. I watched mt paternal Grandmother go through something similar so all my empathy goes out to you. As I've said in my post before "Parents, who'd have em?!

Glamourpuss said...

Never apologise for the way you feel - feelings are feelings and they are never wrong.

The situation is a terrible one - old age is so cruel - and I don't think we ever come to terms with how disappointing parents can be, for whatever reason.

Pax.

Puss

Drama Queen said...

Oh no. You and Shaz are making my tears ducts swell up today. I am sorry to hear about your mammy. . .

HUGS X

Mr Mans Wife said...

How awful for you and your family. My Nan had Parkinsons disease and I can relate to that feeling of never being able to do anything to please her all too well. The whole thing must be so heart breaking for you.

My Mum smokes like a chimney so she'll probably die from lung cancer before anything else "gets her". I'm not sure if I should be grateful for that or not.

Big Hugs to you Jane x

Calamity Jane said...

Shaz - thank you hen

Puss - you're right I spend so much time being jolly and brave and 'coping well' when I'm not that I feel I have to apologize for making others feel bad when I'm having a crap day.

DQ - you & your Mum were actually on my mind when I was writing that. I'm sorry for the extra tears.

Puss - see I'm doing it again.

Mrs Woman - thanks for the hugs. There's less of me to hug today :-)

Sonnjea said...

Sorry, I've had spotty internet access and only just got to read this post. I'm so sorry for everything you are going through. Don't feel you have to be jolly for us, though -- a self-indulgent ramble is just fine.

Calamity Jane said...

Sonnjea - spotty internet access? Sounds like you might need some penicillin. Thanks for your kind thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Oh what an awful situation. I can't imagine how heart wrenching it must be for you. And your poor Dad too, my goodness.

((hugs))

Zoe Brain said...

Try to let her know she's loved - by whom doesn't really matter.

Give your Dad hugs whenever you can, he needs them.

And while you're at it, look at the comments here on your blog and realise that a lot of people all over the planet care for you.

Hugs too, Zoe