Wednesday, 7 March 2007

Hubble dubble

Captain Scarlet loves it when I'm on a diet. Our tastes in food aren't compatible at the best of times but when I'm trying to cook low fat meals he turns his nose up at them and I end up cooking him something like egg & chips. He thinks he's died and gone to heaven which has a certain irony given the food he's eating but he has nary a worry about his heart or his waistline. All this from a man who thinks butter, cheese, oil, fat on meat, etc are poison. The awkward git.

Tonight I found myself with several pints of milk lurking in the fridge, normally in that situation I would make myself a macaroni cheese but since Xenical and cheese don't mix I decided to try and make a milk-based low fat sauce instead. I was thinking something along the lines of Alfredo but t'internet kept coming up with recipes containing cream and parmesan cheese so I took things into my own hands.

I should state for the record that I am NOT a cook in any way shape or form. Do not try any of my recipes without written approval from your doctor and always have a large bowl handy. Oh and those purists who sneer at the use of purees and dried herbs can just kiss my curvaceous British arse.

I had some fat-free creme fraiche in the fridge so I thought I would mix that with some milk, bring it to the boil add some garlic puree, black pepper and some dried parsley - boom, Alfredo's your uncle, right?

Wrong. Creme fraiche and milk curdles when brought to a gentle simmer. It was like grey cottage cheese and I promptly dumped it in the sink. I had plenty more milk to play with.

Next, I began on more familiar ground by mixing some cornflour with a little milk until I had a smooth paste and then added the rest of the milk. In my more carefree days I would have made a roux with some butter and plain flour but there's a kidney and a pancreas out there with my name on it and I need to get on the list so I can get to them.

I brought the milk up to the boil to allow the mixture to thicken slightly and then I added about an inch of garlic puree, some salt and black pepper, about a dessertspoon of dried parsely.

I tasted it and it needed something. Flavour I think, but all I had left in my arsenal was some sun-dried tomato puree and a few oddments of herbs.

I added the tomato puree, still missing something. After rooting around in my little used spice rack I happened upon tarragon. Ahhhh my second favourite herb after rosemary, what the heck I'll bung in some of that, I thought. So I added about a dessertspoon of the the tarragon and took a spoonful of the sauce to taste it.

Can I have a drumroll please?!

Drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr tish!

Scrumptious!! Just add pasta for a truly unauthentic Italian meal. I'm trying to figure out what to call this little concoction of mine. Any ideas?

9 Comments:

Mr Mans Wife said...

Ummm... tomato and tarragon... sauce?

*silence falls upon the room as everyone turns to look at Mrs Woman*

I'll get my coat.

Calamity Jane said...

Snort :-)

Glamourpuss said...

Next time, make a junket.

They taste like shit but I just like the word 'junket'.

Junket.

See, it's growing on you, too, isn't it?

Puss

Calamity Jane said...

Rhymes with Blunkett - euuuww

Shaz said...

"Death by synthetic taste?" . . . oops sorry forget I wasn't aloud to gaffaw @ puree & dried herbs! Just kidding hun. At least you tried. My suggestion would be phone a takeaway!

Calamity Jane said...

Shaz - If you know of any takeaways who serve food of 5% fat or less I'm open to suggestions

Shaz said...

Ok, clamped! But you can pop to the cold north anytime for tea x x

Drama Queen said...

Haha. I am on a diet which means Boyfriend has got to be on one. Guess what? The weight is falling off him and NOT me. The boy has had to start having a main meal for lunch just to sustain his weight. So not fair.

SpanishGoth said...

Has the lazy bastard never heard of Pot Noodles? Fookin hell.

Think you should name your dish 'Cook off you twit'

*sniggers and runs away*