Sunday, 25 February 2007

Beachcombing

Apologies for the dearth of posts lately, I've been lazy, miserable and uninspired this last week. I started on Xenical, the weight loss wonder drug, last Saturday and have experienced a few problems but I've lost at least a pound so hurrah!

We went to Great Yarmouth today, the Blackpool of the East Anglian coast and had a stroll along the beach. I've mentioned before that I like to pick up stones and shells washed up along the shore, but just lately my interest has been taken by sea glass - tiny chunks of glass worn smooth by the action of the sea. I netted quite a haul today including 2 interesting pieces of safety glass that had the reinforcement wires running through them.

I also came across a couple of pieces of thin, white china. I like to fancy that they came from the Titanic and have been washed all this way by Poseidon and his nereids in order to bring them home. They're slightly off course as they've missed Liverpool completely but I like the thought anyway.

8 Comments:

Shaz said...

Great Yarmouth! Oh how that brings back memories of childhood camping holidays . . . I used to love the "Swan Boats" along the sea front & the minature village. We collect "Sea Precious" (glass!) on the beach at Seaham when we go to visit the "Hobbit" & put it around plants that have been potted.

Please don't feel glum, we've missed ya x x

Drama Queen said...

Do the weight loss drugs work?

I dont' want to sound like your mummy but shouldn't you just be resting up after all your ill time?

Your bloggin family want you to take it easy 'k?

SpanishGoth said...

Weight loss drugs? yikes. Do they have any funky side effects like making flying pink elephants appear?

If not, switch them for happy drugs. Kick back, relax and enjoy the trip....

Calamity Jane said...

OK here's the thing with Xenical - you take a tablet with each meal and it stops your body absorbing the fat and therefore the calories from a large portion of your food. The undigested fat just travels through your bowels instead.

If your food has a higher fat content than 3-5g per 100g of food - and believe me that goal is freakin' tough, my porridge oats are 8% fat - you will suffer some poopy problems. That undigested fat ploughs on through your system, it's self-lubricating, when it gets to the end of its journey it ummm, wants to come out.

So yes it has some funky side effects. It's also bloody hard work, makes for miserable eating and if you also have IBS and you stray from the path with say a packet of cheese & onion crisps it makes for a very stressful weekend at the seaside having to go in the icky bogs.

If I manage to lose the excess weight then it will be because of my focused determination to keep to the diet not because of the actual drug.

I definitely need some happy drugs. Nicotine or pork scratchings would do at a push.

SpanishGoth said...

That does not sound fun at all. I have some Xanax if you want, can't remember why. Good shit if you do the opposite of what the doc says (do NOT mix with alcohol) which obviously means DO mix with alcohol.

One beer later and WHAM - straight past drunk to walking into furniture stage.

If you need just call ;-)

Good luck with the weight loss tho

Calamity Jane said...

Thanks matey

Mr Mans Wife said...

Ahh... collecting pebbles on a sandy beach... I remember doing that as a kid. I picked up one that was kind of a black/brown colour, and soft. I don't mean smooth, I mean... soft...

Calamity Jane said...

Ur-hur-hur-hur-hur-hurrrrr!!! (How do you spell a dirty laugh anyway??)